Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/1999 10:05:48
Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU> writes:

> > also, read-only root's *are* coming (and maybe not too far away),
> > and this cron change will totally break them.
>
> Not totally; a symlink into something like /var/etc would repair the
> situation.  (Or, alternatively, you could disable user access to
> cron.)

Ahh, I get it.  Let's make a change that (1) doesn't increase
functionality, (2) has some good arguments against it (read-only
roots, not letting /etc be writable in unlimited size files by users)
and (3) requires a symlink to put things back as they are now.

Why is this change necessary?  IMHO, it isn't.  Leave it alone, there
are more important things to worry about.

--Michael