Subject: Re: /var/cron -> /etc/cron
To: None <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/1999 20:23:39
> What's relevant to this discussion is only that:
>   The place NetBSD uses for host-specific configuration is /etc.

Indeed.

I will note that hier(7) says ``system configuration files and
scripts'' for /etc.  I also see that it's not been updated to
reflect current reality, it mentions /etc/crontab, so there's
further evidence that cron's files have been there before.

Folks wanting to deviate from hier(7) or the basic design
principles behind those or otherwise doing whacky things (read-
only roots, and then presumably also /etc) should be the ones to
carry the burden of maintaining such a setup.

I can sympathise with the problem of having 3000+ users and the
danger of having the users overrun the root file system, and
agree that the maximum size of user crontabs should be system
configurable.  However, folks having that many users on their
systems should also take care to have a root file system with a
little more headroom than what you'd get with a 15-20MB root.

If it's not clear already, I support the move /var/cron -> /etc/cron.

- H=E5vard