Subject: Re: Evil HP 7200i ATAPI CD burner experiences
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/1999 09:36:55
On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 02:16:27PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> The dmesg could help here. An install document from Iomega suggest
> always putting an ATAPI CD as slave, because some model don't behave properly
> when installed as master with a slave disk.

One of the configurations I tried had the normal CD as slave on the same
bus as my hard disk, with the CD burner on its own chain. It was set to
"master," but there was no other device. It seemed to talk to the machine
normally.

> > 2) With the normal CD drive removed, I could see and use the HP drive as a
> > normal CD drive, but cdrecord couldn't see it. 'cdrecord -scanbus' told me
> > that there weren't any SCSI drivers available for what it saw, if I'm re-
> > membering correctly. 'cdrecord blah blah blah dev=/dev/cd0a' said the same.
>
> Did it report having found something anyway ?

On further reading of the docs, it seems that -scanbus only works under
FreeBSD with CAM right now, as far as BSDs go. The message reported was
the same in the case of each command, anyway. It complained of not finding
a SCSI driver. (The -scanbus option did hit the drive activity light on
the CD burner, so I don't know if the functionality is broken or what...)

> As far as I know, cdrecord doesn't do distinction between ATAPI and SCSI
> under NetBSD (the userland interface is the same, the necessary conversions
> are made in kernel).

I didn't follow the code through, but it looked to me (from an initial
glance) that it tried to distinguish between ATAPI and SCSI under NetBSD.
I'd have to look harder to be sure of that, though.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped