Subject: Re: /etc/rc critical filesystem mount changes
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1999 16:56:40
cjs@cynic.net said:
> What between the mount_critical_filesystems and the mount -a uses /var/
> tmp?

Don't know... there is some stuff in between. Who knows what someone
might want to do there.

> Oh, BTW, I'm not really sure that /var/tmp on MFS is a good idea;
> generally /var/tmp is thought of as something that will persist
> across reboots.

Yes - I know. But for a diskless box the speed gain is worth it.

> so that we don't have to move, e.g., /usr from one to the other based
> whether it's a local or remote FS. That appears to me to be just one
> more manual thing that the computer can do automatically.

The computer doesn't do this very well. It doesn't deal with
dependencies doe to mounts in subdirs or stacked mounts.
Further, for diskless boxes the difference between "before
network start" and "after network start" is rather small;
I might prefer to mount critical stuff before "netstart".
Even if the computer did it right in "almost all cases" or
"the cases I consider reasonable" it should be easy to
override.

best regards
Matthias