Subject: Re: updating current
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js.ne.mediaone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1999 09:41:53
Simon Burge writes:

> Joseph Sarkes wrote:
>
> > Just a quick question about building current.
> >
> > After doing make obj, and make -k build, the system is apparently
> > (at least mostly) installed and up to date.
> >
> > If I then go into /usr/src and do make -k, it appears that crt0
> > is rebuilt which then forces relinking of all programs. Is
> > there something funny with the makefiles that causes this?
>
> Look at the UPDATE configuration variable in /usr/src/Makefile.  I
> typically use "make UPDATE=1 -k build".

Thanks. I have that already though. Does your build remake the
crt0 crtbegin and crtend routines in lib/csu and then rebuild the
libraries, and follow up by relinking all the programs?

If not, I may have something weird here that i need to fix. It seems
to me that after doing a make build, a second make build should just
scan through the tree and not build anything over again, as it is all
up to date. (assuming UPDATE=1 so you don't have a make clean done on you)

This is assuming that for some reason the above mentioned .o files are
not rebuilt each time for a specific reason that I don't know of.
Possibly version info?

One other concern that I had, which upon further thought is not that big
of a deal, is that if you are using a separate obj directory for the
results, any deletions in the sup will not be reflected in the obj tree.
However, I assume that although there are pieces left hanging in the obj
tree, the make files will not try to install that stuff so it is just
taking up space, and not able to trash anything out by being out of date.

--
Joseph Sarkes                   mailto:joe@mediaone.net
P.O. Box 482