Subject: Re: need info on MAKE WORLD
To: Justin <justin@theprovider.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/1999 14:10:51
"Justin" <justin@theprovider.com> writes:

> I just supped the 'allsrc' from SUP. What is the usual sequence of commands
> to make a new system from these sources? Is there a particular order you
> must go in and what are my options if I do not want to install over my old
> system?

	Very roughly, "make build" is the target that builds and
installs all of the user-land programs. If you don't want to install
over your old system, you can set the variable (environment variable
or make command-line variable) DESTDIR to the root of where you would
like things installed.

	The general "order" of things is that you build and install a
new kernel and then build and install userland, because some programs
and libraries depend on new kernel features. If you're upgrading from
a 1.3 release to the -current source, there are some additional
gotchas due to changes in the build system tools since 1.3. First,
you'll need to make && make install usr.sbin/config before configuring
and building your new kernel. Then, before doing "make build", you
will need to (based on my experience with updating my sun3 very recently):

make && make install in usr.bin/xinstall
make && make install in gnu/usr.bin/texinfo
make && make install in gnu/usr.bin/ld
make && make install in usr.bin/lex
make install in share/mk

	This should get you going. You may want to glance at the
top-level Makefile to get a sense of what it will do, as well as
/usr/share/mk/bsd.README for some of the other variables that
affect a build.

	- Nathan