Subject: Re: softdep?
To: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/1999 00:45:44
Roger Brooks writes:
> What about the non-volatile RAM SIMMs Sun use in newer machines as a
> replacement for the SBus prestoserve card?  AFAIK they are static RAM
> with battery backup, and fit in a normal SIMM slot.  No idea if you can
> get them to fit machines other than Suns though.

I thought that there were only a couple of NVRAM SIMMs available for
the Sparcs:
	* the SIMM for an SS-10/SS-20 (which fits in one of the two
	  `larger' SIMM sockets)
	* the SIMMs specifically for the SC-1000 (and maybe SC-2000)

I don't think Sun make an NVRAM SIMM for the Ultra series, although I
have put an SBus Presto card into an Ultra 2 and it worked.

I doubt that the Sun NVRAM SIMM would work in anything other than
the designated machine.

It would be nice if NetBSD could use the NVRAM SIMMs in the Sparcs, as
well as the equivalent Presto SIMMs in the DECsystem 5000/2xx's and
on-board presto on the DECsystem 5500's.