Subject: Re: softdep?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@orac.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/1999 23:11:14
On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 12:45:44AM +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> I thought that there were only a couple of NVRAM SIMMs available for
> the Sparcs:
> 	* the SIMM for an SS-10/SS-20 (which fits in one of the two
> 	  `larger' SIMM sockets)
> 	* the SIMMs specifically for the SC-1000 (and maybe SC-2000)

  What sizes were these things?  32MB, 1MB, ???

  Here's my pipe-dream reason for the question:
  I've wondered what performance would be like if one made a
homebrew NVRAM (sitting on a parallel port or ISA, rather than
PCI or a SIMM slot) and changed all FFS mounts to be async --
how much state needs to be kept in NVRAM to be able to recover
in the case of a panic or power loss?  I don't know much about
file systems, but only metadata needs to be saved, right?  And
that shouldn't be _too_ much, especially if it gets cleaned out
of the NVRAM once the async write of the metadata is done....

  If only a few K (like 128KB or less) is needed, it would
_appear_ that the homebrew variety could probably be made for
just a few dollars and a few hours :).  But I haven't priced
SRAMs in several years now.

  Brian