Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/21/1999 19:56:15
On Mar 19, 10:52pm, seebs@plethora.net wrote:
} In message <199903200426.UAA19067@cue.bc.ca>, John Nemeth writes:
} >On Mar 19, 12:02pm, seebs@plethora.net wrote:
} >} In message <199903190723.XAA16362@cue.bc.ca>, John Nemeth writes:
} >} >     BSD, is a standard in its own right.
} >} Please advise where the standard is defined.  For instance, if two vendors
} >     The last release from CSRG.
}
} How, then, would you define a "bug" in BSD 4.4 systems?

1.  Something that doesn't work (core dumps, panics the system, etc.).
2.  Doesn't adhere to documentation:  comments in the code, "The
    Design and Implementation of 4.4BSD UNIX", manpages, etc.
3.  External standards (RFC's, etc.).  If the external standard
    disagrees with one of the above, then I may choose to ignore it.

} A standard is something that lets me go to a vendor and say "this is a bug",
} because it contradicts the standard.  The standard can't be the code.

     What happens if the standard came after the item in question?

} >Where are the standards for NIS,
} >NIS+, RFS, PAM, or any number of other things defined?  I don't
} >believe that "standards" are only in the domain of "official standards
} >bodies".
}
} RFC's are fine for me.  :)

     Show me the RFC's for the above items.