Subject: Re: Good quote on the Apple thing.
To: dustin sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1999 23:11:50
On Mar 17, 12:22am, dustin sallings wrote:
}
} Raymond also said he believes Apple's open source decision will give BSD
} Unix a shot in the arm. Though there's little technical difference between
} BSD and Linux, BSD has played second fiddle to Linux in the open source
} community because Linux has a better licensing situation and a better
} social organization, Raymond said.
}
} 	-- http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,33833,00.html
}
}     That's really good to know.  Perhaps Mr. Raymond meant to say
} ``similarity?''

     This just shows that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Although, I like some of the things that ESR has done (i.e. _The New
Hacker's Dictionary_), I completely disagree with his views on Open
Source software.  Personally, I don't consider Copyleft software to be
truely open (I also don't think Apple's stuff is truely open, but I
don't think it is any worse then Copyleft'ed stuff either).  I also
thought his paper, The Bazaar and the Cathedral, was just plain
bizarre, and quite out of touch with reality.

}-- End of excerpt from dustin sallings