Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1999 09:08:37
In message <199903171702.LAA24116@guild.plethora.net>,
seebs@plethora.net writes:

>Understood.  So, how about this.
>
>If, hypothetically, one were to look at implementing (or, frankly, copying
>the BSD-licensed part of BSDI's implementation) "login.conf", at least as far
>as having login(8) assign different default limits to different users, etc.,
>would one be wasting one's time?

Probably not. But there's also considerable interest in PAM, so you'd
want to copy/port/reimplement something that allowed PAM modules as
well.  then there's the fight over which is `more primitive': do PAM
modules get plugged in via the BSDI-style login.conf, or vice-versa?

If you implement a good solution for both login.conf and PAM then my
guess is, that'd be a good way to get your preferences implemented
incorporated into NetBSD. :) That's just my impression, not a
statement from the project, usw.

>I have enough interest in this feature to think about it, but not enough to
>do it solely for my benefit.
>
>Basically, I'm willing to think about this, but I'd like to have some idea
>of whether or not such changes would be accepted before I put much time into
>them.

Hope that helps some.