Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1999 09:33:26
I really think we need both /etc/rc.conf and all the "stupid little
files."  Yes, they duplicate functionality, but the precedence is
well-defined (and documented in /etc/rc.conf, which seems logical to
me).

FWIW, the "stupid little files" make upgrading slightly less painful,
because their formats don't seem to change as often.

Somebody needs to write a utility to help an admin upgrade /etc.  I
have some ideas, but they're not fleshed out enough yet to withstand
public scrutiny.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu