Subject: Re: Using ppp on demand
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: David Forbes <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1999 13:53:20
> Since this provider, like most, has more than one terminal server, I don't
> know what IP to give the pppd command so I can't set up demand dialing.
> If I use the demand option it complains that I haven't specified the
> remote system.  I tried giving it 0.0.0.0 as the remote system but it
> still complained.

I read somewhere that demand-dialling and dynamic IP wasn't possible,
however I've achieved a solution by doing this:

Set the options so that it takes both the remote and local IP addresses
from the remote end.  (ipcp-accept-local and ipcp-accept-remote, I think.)

Then set the remote address to something known and fixed at the ISP.  I
used our ISP's main router, but I don't think it matters to much.  Use
something like:

:a.b.c.d

When you connect, the address will be replaced with the correct remote
address and all will be fine.  Works for me, and I'm using NAT too.

HTH,

David.

PS - Occasionally, I have a suspicion that the first packet gets dropped.
It may be related, but it may just be noisy line...