Subject: Re: BSD == NIH
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1999 23:41:29
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >I will note that it seems relatively stone-age to not have
> >command-line editing enabled by default when you log in as root on
> >your shiny new NetBSD machine.
>
> Yup, absolutely:
>   Cuisinart> grep ^root /etc/passwd
>   root:*:0:0:Charlie &,,,:/root:/bin/tcsh
>
> before anyone asks, yes, it's statically linked.

Heh, I do the same.  I've occasionally thought about adding a
"COMPILE_STATICALLY_AND_INSTALL_IN_BIN=YES" option to the tcsh package,
but asbestos is outlawed now in Australia so I install the package and
then re-link and install a static version before I "make clean".

That said, I hardly ever use the "root" account - I just "priv tcsh" to
run my own shell as root if I need to - favorite aliases, command line
completions and key binding already set up...

Simon.