Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1999 19:25:06
Jonathan Stone writes:
> >Well I always wondered about these names.  Where is 'yourname', or
> >'yourgate', etc?  What's with the 'my' on the front?  And why doesn't
> >'domainname' have a 'my' then?
>
> The names are not good, agreed.  The functionality is still useful.

and the functionality is still there. what's the problem?

people who like rc.conf can use it for everything.  i've worked at
sites (hi simonb! ;-) where we autogenerated rc.conf, and that was
easier than managing a bunch of little files.

other people like /etc/my* and /etc/ifconfig.*; they work as well.
i know matt said some of these  were deprecated; i'm sure if the
outcry's enough the support will remain