Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1999 01:28:31
Jonathan Stone writes:

> Yes, that'd help with your situation. but one size doesn't fit all
> here.

True, but renaming "the files that aren't very good" doesn't sound like
a fix either. :)

> Umm, then perhaps that means you're not qualified to offer an opinion
> on when ``the network is up'' for machines which *do* start services?

Perhaps.  I guess I am just a "not the network, network guy" who doesn't
know about the 7 layer model. (err Taco Bell?)

      The OSI model defines seven layers:
      Layer 7: Application Layer 	(tomato?)
      Layer 6: Presentation Layer 	(cheese)
      Layer 5: Session Layer 		(sour cream)
      Layer 4: Transport Layer 		(guacamole)
      Layer 3: Network Layer 		(rice)
      Layer 2: Data Link Layer 		(beans)
      Layer 1: Physical Layer		(tortilla)
      (Layer 0: Interconnection Media)	(paper wrap)

> >services != network.
>

> Depends on whether you're a server. If you are, then from the client's
> perspective, you havent' ``started the network'' until you've started
> the services. Heck, your own example of conneccting to an FTP server
> shows  that:
>
> 	ifconfig ex0 inet blah blah blah
> 	ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1
> 	ftp x.x.x.x
> 	ftp: connect: Connection refused
>
> now, you tell me: is ``the network up'' on machine x.x.x.x, or not? :-/.

Yup, it's up.  You just talked to the ip stack.

 	ifconfig ex0 inet blah blah blah
 	ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1
 	ftp x.x.x.x
	ftp: connect: Connection timed out
	ftp>

Bummer, networks down again.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.