Subject: Re: From 1.3.3 to -current.
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1999 21:14:41
On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Peter Seebach wrote:

> So, are there any major pitfalls in building a -current system?  I'm trying
> to test out some USB stuff, and it looks like I need -current.  Is it sane
> to just build a -current kernel and leave my otherwise pristine 1.3.3 alone,
> since I'm happy with it?  :)
>
> -s

I've been tracking -current on a daily basis since 1.3.2 with very few
compile problems and not a single panic.  :-)

However, upgrading to -current from 1.3.3 is *not* a simple task.  There
has been some pretty serious changes along the way any one of which
could take a while to get around.  For example, several toolchain components
must be rebuilt and installed to get other parts of the system to compile.

I've strongly suggest using a recent snapshot and moving to -current from
there.  You'll be much happier with how easy it is to get to today's
-current.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."