Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1999 16:11:49
peter Seebach wries:

>I dunno; I actually like some of SysV's technical decisions better, and I
>suspect we wouldn't have 'rc.conf' if someone were to point out how similar
>it is to some of the stuff my SVR4 box had in /etc.  Real Sysadmins don't
>rely on pansy config files, they edit rc by hand.

Acutally, we have /etc/rc.conf after some long discussion and
comparison to svr4, trying to pull out the good stuff without
descending to runlevels and the twisty maze of runlevel symlinks.

>(I'm personally fairly agnostic; I do prefer BSD-style Unix, but I loathe
>some of the design decisions that are characteristic of it.)

you say this and I think STREAMS, and sysvshm, and sysvipc message
queues,... what do you think of the other side?