Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1999 17:58:49
In message <199903162341.PAA06680@Cup.DSG.Stanford.EDU>, Jonathan Stone writes:
>Seriously, though: could it be there's a European vs US dichotomy
>here, due to SysV's dominance in the European market, versus BSD's
>early and longlasting technical superiority in the rest of the world?

I dunno; I actually like some of SysV's technical decisions better, and I
suspect we wouldn't have 'rc.conf' if someone were to point out how similar
it is to some of the stuff my SVR4 box had in /etc.  Real Sysadmins don't
rely on pansy config files, they edit rc by hand.

It could just as well be that we have, obviously, a lot of people who liked
BSD-style Unix better than SysV, and a few who came from other backgrounds.

(I'm personally fairly agnostic; I do prefer BSD-style Unix, but I loathe
some of the design decisions that are characteristic of it.)

-s