Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@texas.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1999 15:36:07
On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 02:06:33PM -0600, Jay Maynard wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 01:37:56PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > It's Net *BSD*.  If you want System V, you know where to find it.
>
> For a VAX? For a DECstation? What about all those systems that NetBSD is the

If you are unaware of the existence of System V for the VAX, I have to
question whether you've actually got enough historical perspective to
usefully contribute to this discussion.

As to the rest -- thanks, what you consider "offensive" or not (talk about
rhetoric!) is highly unlikely to ever alter what I say.

It's hardly as if we were talking about making it *impossible* to use
/bin/sh as root's shell.  Certainly I'd assume you know how to use an
editor.

The simple issue is that Berkeley UNIX has always shipped with /bin/csh as
root's shell, all the _other_ Berkeley Unices still do, it's simple to
change to /bin/sh if you want to, and there's no reason for us to break with
historical precedent *and* what all the other *BSD do now.

I'd certainly be in favor of providing a way for a user to select which
shell root gets at system install time.  But in the absence of any
compelling technical argument in favor of either one -- and scripting
style as well as "well, everyone *else* does it that way" in the absence
of a relevant standard are really just religious issues we could wank
over all day -- it seems to me that the default should be to do things
the Berkeley way, where there's a difference.  A lot of blood sweat and
tears have gone into Berkeley UNIX, here and elsewhere.  Have some respect.

Thor

P.S. These days, "most" Unix systems are Linux.  I suppose that means that
     to be like "most" Unix systems, we should ship color ls(1)?