Subject: Re: BSD == NIH
To: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1999 09:19:48
In message <199903161706.MAA01048@nephthys.grey17.org>Greg Hudson writes

>I'm rather surprised to see so many people depending the abortion that
>is csh.  I guess people really like !! and ^foo^bar or something.

Really? i'm at least as surprised to hear so many people depending on
the abortion that is sh.  As a scripting language, it has csh beat,
but the UI?

>I will note that it seems relatively stone-age to not have
>command-line editing enabled by default when you log in as root on
>your shiny new NetBSD machine.

Yup, absolutely:
  Cuisinart> grep ^root /etc/passwd
  root:*:0:0:Charlie &,,,:/root:/bin/tcsh

before anyone asks, yes, it's statically linked.

>A piece of background, in case some people don't know, is that /bin/sh
>has libedit support already, though not by default.  You have to know
>an incantation like "set -o emacs" to turn it on.

I beleive we went 'round turning on line editing in sh, and the battle
between emacs vs vi keybindings was resolved by not turning it on.