Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1999 12:47:31
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >With this change & restoring toor, sh lovers, csh lovers, and new users
> >all win. Both shells are available, and the default install doesn't
> >generate security warnings.
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Please just commit this.   ``Least surprise''.
>
> It puts things back mostly as they were, as they should be on a BSD box.
> It fixes the complaints about toor and security reporting.

I can't remember the exact check, but should it have been more specific
- like '^toor:[^:]*:0:0:' or something?

> Is it worth kludging passwd/vipw, to force it to update toor's passwd
> to be updated (if toor is present and superuser) whenever root's is
> changed?

Tagged passwords that point to another password entry?  Sounds ugly
and there's probably a huge can of worms involved, but a concept that
certainly would have come in handly where I work where each developer
had five accounts that set up different environments.  I dunno how many
times we had to reset passwords on the less often used ones.

Simon.