Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: wscons virtual screen configuration
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/1999 02:42:32
On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de wrote:
> For INSTALL-type kernels, there is a kernel configuration
> option which recreates the old behaviour:
> option WSDISPLAY_DEFAULTSCREENS=8
> will set up 8 screens automatically without need for "wsconscfg".

Can we leave these 8 (or maybe just 4) in there by default?
If someone wants some special customisation he can still play with
wsconscfg, but I'd prefer to have the VCs available per default, not after
switching them on.

After all, NetBSD has ~ever supported VCs (via pvct), but almost everyone
thought that NetBSD wouldn't support VCs because they weren't shipped per
default.

Plus, wsconscfg is on /usr, which may not be mountable and thus would
prevent using of VCs in case of emercenvy (where it's still possible to
spawn a shell on another tty).

 - Hubert

P.D.: While I'm at griping: It would be cool if we could add some
      "scrollback" buffer to wscons to we could even read the top
      of the boot messages etc. :-)
--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>