Subject: Re: Platform support for Hitachi Risc Processors
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, itojun@itojun.org>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/13/1999 00:07:32
I'm working with a company that was developing a product using Win/CE. Needless
to say M*cros*ft's support for Win/CE is deplorable (i.e. as bad as it gets,
even when you PAY THEM!)

They're looking at switching OS's but the embeded OS's like VXworks and pSOS are
around $20K for a developement seat (compilers included.)

They have an Hitachi SH7709WCERP2 reference platform, which uses a
HD6417709F80 processor and the HD64461 companion ASIC. It support a color
LCD display and 2 PCMCIA slots (serial ports, etc.) VXworks and pSOS both
support this reference platform. I think it would be a relatively straight
forward task to get a NetBSD-1.3 kernel to support this H/W platform.

They would really like to be able to use this as a developement platform,
since they paid about $8000 for it. I might be able to persuade them to give
NetBSD a try if we could get our hands on some preliminary code to test.
Especially if a i386 NetBSD box could be used to cross-compile the SH3 code.

Any possibility of this happening in the VERY near future??

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.cet.com