Subject: Re: SF Horror (Was: Re: Who's going to IETF? (Social events))
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1999 22:46:40
On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 08:15:47PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> >You know, this kind of construct reminds me of some SF stories' horror
> >scenarios of some years ago...
>
> I think you're thinking of "Dawn of the Dead":
>
> http://us.imdb.com/Title?Dawn+of+the+Dead+(1978)

Uhm, no. I read a short story some... err... 20 years ago. Don't remember
by whom. It was about a very consumer oriented society; just walking (outside
of your home) was considered unlawful and in fact, there were no sidewalks.
The mall shown was a drive-in.

The hero had a car accident, during which his car fell out of the street;
he lives with some "outlaws" because of this for a while, but they are detected
by the police when they go shopping into the mall. He escapes being caught
by buying a car, putting the other stuff he bought into it and driving away.
End of story.

	-is