Subject: Re: NetBSD Copyright
To: Segmentation Violation. Core dumped. <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Harry W. Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/1999 16:33:24
On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Segmentation Violation.  Core dumped. wrote:

> I'm hoping that mandating that source be forfeit to TNF is not the only
> way to get one's source contributed to NetBSD.  Would that not defeat
> the original intentions of NetBSD?  I'm certainly not saying GNU here,
> but I think that perhaps a joint-ownership kind of deal might be better,
> i.e. freely redistributable by either party under their respective terms.
> NetBSD can sell it, or the original author can give it away.

That would be a start. But, maybe I don't understand why NetBSD needs
"ownership" of the code at all, so long as the copyright on the code does not
get in the way of TNF s goals. Although. I can certainly understand how it
would be a lot easier for TNF to have just one copyright to keep track of.
I would expect that it would only make sense to have a NON-TNF copyright on
some pieces of code. I would expect that NASA, other government agencies and
some universities would need this sort of treatment.

Harry