Subject: Re: Short: watch your libs.
To: Segmentation Violation. Core dumped. <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/1999 15:36:58
On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Segmentation Violation.  Core dumped. wrote:

: Just a word of warning: if you putz around with a couple different versions
: of (most specifically) third-party items

:  I notice we don't link our .so libs to .so.$version, to
: .so.$version.$release.$branch and so on for the most part, though this
: does happen with some of them set in $X11BASE.  Make sure your
: lib(.*).so points to the right lib$1.so.$version.

Of course, that applies only to ELF in the case you're describing:  the
libNAME.so link.  On a.out systems, that link should not exist, and in fact
is ignored by the linker if the versioned library exists.

pkgsrc-based programs, the base system, and xsrc all have been set up to
deal with the ELF intrinsics properly.  If you want to make sure that "third
party" software that doesn't fall into the above categories works, check out
Ross Harvey's ELF mini-FAQ.  There are options that `should be' passed to
the ELF linker to make this all work properly, the `ELF ABI' way.