Subject: Re: '/dev/reload'
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/1999 21:11:19
On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 10:30:27AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> So, NetBSD/Amiga at least used to have a '/dev/reload', and if you copied
> a kernel to it, it rebooted to that kernel, but it bypassed all the normal
> reset behavior.  I think this depended on a fairly similar locore.s.

/dev/reload has never worked on part of the NetBSD/Amiga supported machines,
and seems even more broken nowadays, and if I felt authoritative enough,
I'd just nuke it now that we have bootblocks.

Even when my main experimentaiton machine was the Amiga 3000, I've found
it enough unreliable wrt. the "nearly same kernel code" requirement that
I ended up booting the normal way most of the time.

> Would such a device be practical or useful on other platforms?  I keep
> thinking it'd be more convenient than a "real" boot process.

Save your precious time. If you have spare brain cycles, make
the i386 installation process reliable, or ask me for my list of unfinished
NetBSD/Amiga projects.

Regards,
	Ignatios