Subject: NFS-related freezes in recent -currents?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/1999 14:51:36
While attempting to get my desktop machine (x86, pentium 100) up to -current
again, I decided to NFS-mount /usr/src from my laptop, which is must faster
(again, x86, PII-266).  The laptop, in case it matters, was also running a
1.3K kernel built from sources supped the first few days of March.  (I re-
built the kernel on the laptop too, just for good measure).

Previous to all this, I had succesfully done a 'make build' on my laptop,
so all I wanted was to install the built binaries on the desktop machine.

CD'ing to /usr/src and doing a 'make install' or 'make includes' on the desk-
top machine inevitably led to the machine locking hard at some point in the
build.  I rebuilt the desktop machines' kernel several times, with the final
kernel being from sources SUP'd on 3/6 (hoping each time I sup'd that some
bug would be fixed that made it all better)I.  Replacing the kernel on the
desktop machine with a newer one did not fix it -- it would still lock up
so tight that the only recourse was to hit the reset switch...

The desktop has an old SMC 8013EPC ISA card, the laptop a cheapo PCMCIA
NE2000 clone.

The interesting thing is that cd'ing into each of the subdirs of /usr/src
make doing the 'make install'/'make includes' seemed to work (I say seemed,
because I didn't descend into directories that had already been completed,
so the total work wasn't as much as a whole-tree 'make install'/'make includes'
would do).

Anyone seem anything similar?? Should I file a PR?  Am I just losing my mind?

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                   rafal@mediaone.net