Subject: Re: '/dev/reload'
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: David Forbes <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/1999 17:26:44
> So, NetBSD/Amiga at least used to have a '/dev/reload', and if you copied
> a kernel to it, it rebooted to that kernel, but it bypassed all the normal
> reset behavior.  I think this depended on a fairly similar locore.s.
>
> Would such a device be practical or useful on other platforms?  I keep
> thinking it'd be more convenient than a "real" boot process.

I'd certainly find it useful:  I access my main machine via a network most
of the time and trying out new kernels would be more convenient like this.
I can just copy them to /netbsd and issue "reboot", but if the kernel
fails to boot then I have to connect a keyboard and monitor to sort it
out.

I'm assuming that a reboot would cause the machine to revert to it's
normal kernel?

Cheers,

David.