Subject: suggestions for -current
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/1999 15:20:33
Oops, I meant to send my "thank you" message to netbsd-users.
Oh well, I don't suppose most core members have time to read either.

Anyway, just some suggestions for people with time:

The /usr/src/gnu/ hierarchy, especially dist/ and the *.new programs
were a little confusing at first.  I found src/gnu/README after figuring
out what they were for.  It would be nice if major file system structural
changes were described briefly, and/or put into hier(7).  Similarly,
more documentation of /usr/src/distrib/* would be nice.

Similarly, when programs are added to the main distribution, a
one-liner would be nice (I know, I can read the CVS updates when
I have time).  Sometimes it may already be in e.g. /usr/local.
Or moved from /bin to /usr/bin.  Lots of new programs these days...

Someone should write what NetBSD has learned from running such a large
build/make system, describing the design, tradeoffs, dependencies, etc.

Perhaps it would be good to develop measures to prevent people's email
addresses from being harvested for UBE via the WWW mailing list interface.
Of course the netbsd lists are gatewayed to Usenet anyway, so it is
already somewhat moot.

--
Into action!