Subject: Re: DLT drives
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/1999 08:54:16
Ken Hornstein wrote:

> Anyone use a DLT tape drive with NetBSD?  If so, did/does it work well?

Not with NetBSD, but...

> While I'm on the subject ... anyone got any reasons to love/hate DLT
> tape drives versus any other type of tape media?

The best thing we ever did was switch from Exabyte 8500's to DLT 2000s a
couple of years ago.  Some of our machines went from 10 Exabytes to down
to 3 DLTs!  Media is expensive, but it's duty cycle is _much_ better
than Exabytes (something like 100,000 write passes).  We've had no real
experience with DAT other than we have a drive here and just use it when
people want to ship data in DAT format to external people...

Simon.