Subject: Re: DLT drives
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/1999 22:14:54
On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 01:49:50PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> Anyone use a DLT tape drive with NetBSD?  If so, did/does it work well?

There's a DLT drive on one NetBSD/i386 system that I "maintain".. it has
been working just fine all the time, since NetBSD 1.2.  This machine has
an Adaptec 2940UW (or something like that) SCSI controller:

ahc0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0
ahc0: interrupting at irq 11
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs

We use Amanda for automated backups and the only problem we've had is
that the people forget to insert correct tapes :-)

> While I'm on the subject ... anyone got any reasons to love/hate DLT
> tape drives versus any other type of tape media?

I think they're too expensive for my own use (so I use a DAT drive).

  -jm