Subject: Re: Community Issues ** LONG **
To: Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Wojtek <wojtek@wojtek.prointer.pl>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/1999 20:52:05
On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF wrote:

> Mason Loring Bliss writes:
> [something about IRC:#netbsd not being accessible, "besides, it's IRC".
>  (whatever that means).  Also something about lack of direction, bickering
>  and a netbsd-chat list (or was that Hubert Feyrer?).]
>
> Perhaps if we adopted a standard bare-bones irc program?  I've been wanting
> to get onto the irc for ages now and finally broke down and loaded BitchX.
> But it's cumbersome, there's no man page for it (it's all in a doc section
> somewhere), and the title is less than appealing in a household that
> has pre-school toys present.
>
> I, too, would like to see NetBSD have a direction, but quite frankly, I
> think that socially we've already lost the war.  The key to our success is
> our interoperability with other systems -- if we're to have a chance in hell,
> we have got to push that point.  Linux and FreeBSD have the roost right now;
In Poland there is about 99% Linux 1% FreeBSD , NetBSD-unknown!, no
mirrors, no pages etc.
> if FreeBSD were to have divested to multiple platforms as NetBSD has done,
> NetBSD would no longer exist.  We need to focus on what might appeal not
> so much _in place of_ <X>, but _adjunct to_ <X>, where <X> would be
> "The New Preferred Operating Environment", and we need to appeal to it in
> a big enough way that we can earn the same commercial support that Linux
> has won.  If we don't support the apps ("compatibility mode" doesn't really
Do you really want to be Most Popular, or to be very good?
With today's users knowlege and habits it's probably impossible.

I wish it wouldn't come onto the Linux way - system which was VERY nice,
but is making worse and worse.