Subject: Community Issues
To: None <netbsd-announce@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/1999 12:38:08
Sorry for posting to multiple lists, but this stuff affects the NetBSD
community as a whole, so I want it to see wide exposure.

Basically, NetBSD needs help, socially. We've got the *best* OS there is,
and we all know it. No other OS combines the platform independence and
hardware support we've got with the generally high level of quality of
our code. NetBSD is a pleasure to use, which is why we use it, and why we
recommend it to our friends and co-workers.

However, NetBSD is seriously falling apart, socially. There's a huge amount
of bickering that goes on, and the project has no visible direction. We lack
both the unity seen in the FreeBSD and GNU/Linux projects and the direction
seen in OpenBSD.

I'd like us as a community to figure out how we can feel more like a community.
There are two things I'd like to see happen to help this process get started.

First, I'd request that someone who can create a netbsd-chat mailing list,
solely for the purpose of random chatter amongst NetBSD people that may or
may not involve NetBSD. (The IRC channel doesn't seem to grab enough people
to fill this void. Besides, it's IRC.)

Second, I'd like to see if anyone's interested in periodic regional get-
togethers. I'm in the Boston area, more or less, so I'd be happy to meet
folks in that area.

Thanks in advance for further thoughts and ideas.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped