Subject: Re: i386 -current install floppies vs DeLL
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/1999 14:17:47
On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Takahiro Kambe wrote:

> In message <199902171815.AA32646@zel459>
> 	on Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:15:14 +0100,
> 	drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de wrote:
> > dokas@cs.umn.edu said:
> > > 1400000+1670000+[10000+15000]+6500000000read strings
> This is the same situtation for me, extra large number was shown.
>
> > I've seen this last week - there was a short time window
> > where the bootloader's decompression code was broken,
> > leading to "random data" read after the first 1kB.
> I had this problem last week, it showed a message "symbol table too short."
>
> > Make sure you don't have
> > sys/lib/libsa/cread.c rev. 1.7.
> I have revision 1.8 and recompile just now, but the result was the same.

I'm also still having problems.  I'm definitely using cread.c rev 1.8 (I
was very careful to fully remove all .o files with several 'make cleandir's)
It still does the same thing.

I also removed DDB from the INSTALL kernel and used that.  I stopped giving
the 'read strings' message and huge number.  However, it still reboots
at the point where it should start showing autoconf messages.

Also, the boot_tiny startup disk shows the bootloader numbers and then
just hangs there until the machine is reset.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."