Subject: Re: Userland PPP
To: Yoav Cohen-Sivan <yoavcs@inter.net.il>
From: dustin sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/17/1999 23:05:08
On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Yoav Cohen-Sivan wrote:

// Are there any technical, moral or philosophical reasons why we
// haven't ported the userlevel PPP program available in Free and
// OpenBSD? It works through the tun driver. If there aren't any
// objections I'd like to try porting it to NetBSD (I haven't even
// checked, maybe it'll compile out of the box ;-) ).
//
// Reasons? It just seems a cleaner solution than pppd, to my untrained
// eyes. Why have ppp code in the kernel when it can be userland,
// right?

	I've run userland ppp in NetBSD.  I can't remember why, but I had
a reason at one point.  I can't think of a good reason to run userland
ppp.  It's *by far* more efficient in the kernel, and all of the rest of
the network interfaces are in the kernel, so I don't see what's wrong with
it.

--
Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>