Subject: i386 -current install floppies vs DeLL
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/1999 22:05:32
Today, I attempted to install a Dell Optiplex (I think that's the
right name) and ran into some interesting problems.

First, the 1/31 snapshot floppies have the buggy sysinst and are unusable.

So then, I used my other i386 NetBSD box to build a set of floppies.
I built the INSTALL and INSTALL_TINY kernels with today's supped source.
Then did a make in /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies and all built without
any obvious errors.

Then I copied the fdset/boot[12].fs files onto two floppies with dd.

With these floppies, the machine loads the kernel successfully, but at
the point where it should show the NetBSD banner, something like:

NetBSD 1.3I (INSTALL) #2: Tue Feb 16 09:33:19 CST 1999
    root@caligula:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/INSTALL

I just spontaneously reboots.

I'd *really* like to get this thing installed with something close to
-current to show it off to the Linux-bigots that I've got to deal with.

Any ideas?  Other than installing 1.3.3 that is.  The upgrade path to
-current is a little torturous.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."