Subject: Re: sysinst, two more notes
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/1999 09:28:46
On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 04:57:08PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:

> Maybe the installer should ask "Do you have a special boot loader installed
> on the disk or do you wish to install a boot loader now?"

  FWIW, the FreeBSD install system offers three options:
standard MBR, custom FreeBSD one, or leave-it-alone-I-know-what-I'm-doing.
They force the user to choose this, regardless of what is or
isn't on the disk.  This might be a good route to take.

  Maybe our default should be leave-alone, to match the current
behavior?  Or here we could put the smarts so that if it appears
there isn't a valid MBR, the default is NetBSD bootblocks if
there are no other valid partitions, and the standard if there
are other valid partitions; but if there is an existing valid
MBR, the default is leave-alone...  :)  ... if you follow that!

  Brian