Subject: Re: sysinst, two more notes
To: current users NetBSD <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Delcamp <e.delcamp@wanadoo.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/1999 13:29:09
Hi !

De : Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
À : Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
Date : dimanche 14 février 1999 10:03
Objet : sysinst, two more notes
[...]

>A suggestion: When installing NetBSD from scratch and using the entire disk,
>why not doing the "dd" trick automatically?  What is there to lose?  I have
>been bitten by the same problem twice now - the first time it wasn't too
>easy to figure out what the problem was, but this time I knew better.  I
>know about this now and I can do "dd" before installing anything, but this
>can be a real problem to users who don't know what the problem is.

If you have two or more disks, and want to dedicate one to NetBSD, I think
that erasing bootblock is not a good idea. Better is an option in the sysinst
menu to "install NetBSD bootblock".

>editors, ssh etc.) and configuration files (xntpd config etc.).  Currently,
>there's a lot of work that has to be done manually after sysinst has done
>its job.  This can be difficult when the only person who can access the
>console doesn't know what to do and you have to tell him what to do,
>keystroke by keystroke..  (export TERM=pc3, vipw (how to use vi, how to
>create a new account), edit /etc/group, edit /etc/rc.conf...).

Yes it's difficult, but you have a US keyboard ;-) By default, I have a French
Keyboard, and settings options in vi (where is the "$", is it 3 or 4 ? And the
"_" ?) is not an easy task. Replication of configuration files is a good idea.

One more thing, on the network setup, I didn't see a DHCP option. I have cable
modem, and couldn't guess all the parameters (and don't know them). Is there
enough free space on the install disk ?

Thanks.