Subject: hesiod uid lookups.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/11/1999 17:40:35
A couple of weeks ago, the hesiod code was changed to look up user ids
from <uid>.uid.<hes-domain> rather than <uid>.passwd.<hes-domain>.  This
broke interoperability with Ultrix systems.  Two questions:

 1) How does Athena/MIT do this?  Or anyone else for that matter?

 2) If Athena/MIT (or anyone else) do it differently, where can we
    specify which map to look up user id's in?  /etc/hesiod.conf would
    seem to be the obvious place, but it's gen/getpwent.c that needs
    to know the map and not the general hesiod routines.  Having
    gen/getpwent.c also parsing /etc/hesiod.conf seems ... tacky.

Ideas anyone?  I don't want to go down the private patch route...

Simon.