Subject: Re: Suggestion: keep binary data out of /etc
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1999 22:38:32
skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU (Bill Studenmund) writes:

>The problem though is that grep's huristics of "context" fails on a binary
>file. :-)

Grep's heuristics of "context" wrt. binary files have worked pretty well
for me during the past 15 years.  I don't suppose you want to assert that
I was having halluzinations all those years?

>It's just that the "context" of these findings can be dangerous to some
>terminal settings. Since they can cause a terminal to send replies to the
>command line, they can be dangerous to the user('s files) as well.

So can be cat(1)ing binary files.  Are we going to prevent cat from writing
"binary" files to the terminal too?  Or what was your point?

One of Unix' deeply valued mottos has been that "we sell rope".  That's
why I like it.

--
Christoph Badura

Probleme mit Linux?  Versuch NetBSD!  www.netbsd.org