Subject: Re: Suggestion: keep binary data out of /etc
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <twofsonet@graffiti.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/1999 23:04:37
>Easier on most `modern' systems including NetBSD is
>
>	printf '\016'
>	printf '\017'
>
>and so on... If you can't see what you're typing, you may as well type
>less :)

well, yes, but modern <--> 4.4bsd  :)

and i've never actually gotten used to printf(1) (man 3 printf
continues to irk me).  besides, *everyone* has xterms and *everyone*
on 4.4bsd systems uses them to log in to systems that don't have
printf.  i just have a portable habit, that's all.

fwiw - linux purports to have a printf(1) but it's not the same as the
4.4bsd one.  it expects a 0 before the octal number.  4.4bsd seems to
do something completely different if i give it that.  <sigh>

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|