Subject: Re: ELF integration on a.out platforms
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/1999 11:54:21
I probably don't understand the issues here, but I'm sure somebody
will correct my assumptions.  :)

Is there any reason we can't simply increment the major version number
of every shared library?  Any new programs that are compiled will find
the new (ELF) library, to match their own ELF formats (because the
compiler will have been changed at that point).  I guess we'll need to
have an a.out ld.so and an ELF ld_elf.so, so that a.out
dynamically-linked binaries can still load the right ld.so.

What am I missing?

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu