Subject: Re: Suggestion: keep binary data out of /etc
To: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1999 18:19:26
On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Christoph Badura wrote:

> dolecek@ics.muni.cz (Jaromir Dolecek) writes:
> >One more shot -- for object files, the grepped line is useless anyway
> >(you are not going to edit the object files manually, are you ?),
>
> Oh, it's useless?  Surreal!  Obviously, if I couldn't get the information
> I am looking for by greping the object files I wouldn't grep them in the
> first place!  And yes, I sometimes do edit object files.  Good thing, I
> can now do that with vi and don't have to lug an emacs around for that.
>
> >so information whether the string has been found is enough even for you
> >I guess :)
>
> Eh?

I _thought_ that the change in question makes grep change HOW it reports
its findings for "binary" files, not IF it searches binary files.

As I understand it, for a "binary" file, grep will say "I found it" for
the file rather than showing you the "line" on which it found the string.

So it'll still tell you which .o contains foutine name X, it just won't
show you. :-)

Take care,

Bill