Subject: Re: Large Disks / Clean Install
To: None <ws@tools.de>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1999 14:23:05
> Hmm, if you install our mbr code with fdisk -i, and your BIOS
> has support for int13-extensions on the disk you want to boot,
> then it is possible to boot partitions beyond the 8GB limit (if
> the partition's bootcode does support booting beyond that
> limit, too; yes, our bootcode does).

Hum, well, yes, if the BIOS is happy with the MBR, that is.  Some
BIOSes aren't happy with our current /usr/mdec/mbr, see PR 6954,
i.e. it refuses to run the code, apparently because some consistency
check done by the BIOS on the MBR fails.

Also, it appears that M$'s mbr code isn't the same in all cases; I got
the distinct impression from the description of the aforementioned /x
switch to fdisk that at least some newer variants of fdisk's MBR code
does know how to do int13 extensions (?).  Of course my old MS-DOS
fdisk didn't recognize that switch.  No, I've not tried to disassemble
the M$ mbr code as installed by Windows95, so I may be wrong on this
one.

- H=E5vard