Subject: Re: Large Disks / Clean Install
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no, frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1999 14:14:44
Hi,

> > I think it's sort of a reasonable limitation that your boot
> > partition part of NetBSD has to reside within the first 8GB of a
> > drive, and we should document that limitation and implement
> > something in sysinst which prevents the user from putting himself
> > in violation of that limitation.
>
> I think it should be possible to do this, but the user should be
> warned that this partition can probably only be booted via a
> bootselector. Which we then should offer to install.

Hmm, if you install our mbr code with fdisk -i, and your BIOS has support
for int13-extensions on the disk you want to boot, then it is possible
to boot partitions beyond the 8GB limit (if the partition's bootcode does
support booting beyond that limit, too; yes, our bootcode does).  Users
need to be warned that they must not overwrite the mbr code using other
OSs' fdisk utilities (including M$'s version) and should also be careful
in selecting a bootselector (I'm not aware which of them has support for
this) if they want to continue to be able to boot NetBSD.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800