Subject: Re: XFree86 3.3.2.3 and WSCONS
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: None <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/1999 19:36:56
dolecek@ics.muni.cz said:
> > Yes; the X servers to be compiled for 1.4 (and any compiled against
> > -current) have "real" wscons support.
>
> Is it some recent change ? I compiled the Xserver myself with xsrc
> from beginnning of december I think and it didn't work  when kernel
> was compiled w/o those WSCONS_COMPAT_* options. Is it worth pr, then ?

The X server support for wscons is not _that_ complete...
The changes to older servers are that the /dev/ttyE* files are
looked for directly, and that the wsmouse protocol is recognized.
The former saves the need for symlinks, but otherwise wscons
must still emulate pcvt. The latter supports the use the ?ms devices
instead of the o?ms compatibility ones which allows to use these
wheel mice and might make the setup easier in the future.
The wskbd handling is the big missing part for now, and, as I
understand it, this is a hard part.
There are some things the wscons framework allows to improve
in the future, but this is not that vital: it could save the
need for the X server to scan the PCI bus to find its graphics
card, and the VT switching protocol could be replaced by one
which sucks less...
I'd say a PR is not needed - the facts are known, it only needs
people who understand X enough to do the necessary integration.

best regards
Matthias