Subject: Re: X problems
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: None <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/1999 16:38:45
dolecek@ics.muni.cz said:
> I thought wscons is X-aware and doesn't allow to write/read to
> terminal when it's in graphics mode. Does it ?

wscons is X aware - yes, in some sense. But X is less wscons-
aware, at least as far as the keyboard is concerned. It still
uses the "raw keyboard" interface, this means it reads the
keyboard data thru the normal tty read function. If the X
server used the /dev/wskbd* device(s) similar to the way
it uses the mouse devices (open on VT takeover, close before
switching away), the problem wouldn't arise.
Unfortunately the XF86 code is not structured in a way
which would make this easy.

best regards
Matthias