Subject: Re: Suggestion: keep binary data out of /etc
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1999 20:34:55
Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us> writes:

> > However, aliases.db, pwd.db and spwd.db are there, and sometimes I'll
> > get a match in one of those, resulting in a deluge of garbage.  Would
> > it be a good idea to keep those files in, say, /var/db instead?
>
> Wouldn't that require that /var be mounted to allow anyone to log
> in? What if /var is for some reason toasty, but you've got your
> system set up to require a password to get into single-user mode?

Good point.  I guess I've been assuming that the .db files are not
actually required, but just used if present, to speed up access.  If
they have to be there, they should be in the root file system.  If so,
how about an /etc/db/ directory for such files?

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"